Sunday, November 19, 2017

Remain | John 15

Reading in John 15 today. I usually read from the New Living Translation because it is beautifully phrased, but today I chose to read from Common English as that is what we use as pew Bibles at church.

The thing that struck me was the repetition of the word remain.

Remain in me, and I will remain in you.

You can't produce fruit unless you remain in me.

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you.

Remain in my love.

If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love.

I have said these things to you so that my joy will be in you and your joy will be complete.

This is my commandment: love each other just as I have loved you.

According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of remain is
- to be a part not destroyed, taken, or used up
- to stay in the same place or with the same person or group; especially to stay behind
- to continue unchanged
Synonyms of remain:
abide, dwell, stay, tarry

Make Christ your home. Dwell in him.
Abide in the love of Christ.
The result of remaining in his love is replication of his love. When we follow his commandment to love as he loved us, his love is given to another and another.
This transfer of love leads to hope being passed person to person. And that is cause for great joy.


Remain in me. Remain in my love.
#chronicjoy




No comments:

Post a Comment