Monday, September 14, 2015

simplicity

This evening was our IF: Pray event. This morning's symptoms were still intense, but it had mostly subsided by 3:30. I guess I was too in the thick of it all because I totally forgot to take any pictures of the evening. Oops. We had four tables set up in the fellowship hall with vases of baby's breath and a floating candle in the center of each. We put up a strand of clear Christmas lights, and I set up a wooden drink cart as an info station with one of Grandma's lace tablecloths over it, the information in picture frames, and some more baby's breath. In the corner of the room, we put down a rug and had our stools on it and podium in front of it. With the help of Pastor Bev, I made coffee for the ladies, and we had a good two hours of prayer, discussion, and worship. I am very glad that we did it.

Something I've been considering for awhile (the major principles I've been considering for years) and have finally decided I'm going to try to implement to some degree in my life is minimalism. There is so much about my life that seems unmanageable and especially living in such a small space, it seems like my possessions can kind of take over the space if only even a couple of things are out of place. I pared down when I moved here, but I think it is time to pare down again with the mindset of not replacing unless I am in a different season of life that calls for a true need of an item. I know that my greatest peace of mind house-wise is when my kitchen is clean. But if all my areas were simple to clean and had ample space because I had only exactly what I need.... Yes. That is ideal. So I've been reading up and watching YouTube videos about how to start the decluttering process, how to create a capsule wardrobe, etc. so I can figure out what parts of living light are a good fit for me. I sorted one bookshelf today. And then I took a break and read one of the books before putting it in the 'get rid of' pile (The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo). And tomorrow I will continue.
(21 Benefits of Owning Less)

No comments:

Post a Comment